Sunday, November 24, 2013

Ravva Kesari (Semolina Pudding)

I made Ravva Kesari (Semolina Pudding) on Diwali day. It took for a while for me to post this recipe. This is a very traditional sweet in India. Many people make this on festivals, or any auspicious occasions. In my childhood I was a great fan of Ravva Kesari. My mom used to make Ravva Kesari on my every birthday.  Somehow I lost interest on this sweet and totally forgot about it. Its been many years I haven’t had this and also didn’t make this at home.  My sister was sick. I picked her from airport and no time for me to buy any groceries. On Diwali day, I found that there are not many ingredients in my pantry and fridge except Semolina (Sooji Ravva), and Clarified butter (Ghee). I want to make something for our breakfast and thought of making Ravva Kesari instead of Upma with Semolina. Many years later, I made this, and it came out exactly the way my mom used to make.  Ingredients are simple, recipe is simple. Best dish to satisfy sweet tooth and a perfect desert for a party. 





Ingredients:
Semolina (1 Cup) – for two people, Clarified Butter (Ghee) – 1 cup or 6-7 spoons – Butter or Vegetable shortening can be used instead of butter, Sugar – 1 cup (Depending on taste), Cashews – 15, Raisins – 15 (Optional), Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods – 2 (Optional), Milk – 2.5 Cup  - I used 1% Milk, Safforn Threads – 10 (Optional),
Orange food color – ½  spoon,


Preparation Time: 20 mins


Preparation Method: Take a pan, Add a spoon of ghee (Clarified butter). Toast the Cashews and Raisins and keep it aside. Add most of the Ghee to the same pan. Add Semolina (Ravva/ Sooji) and fry for few mins on low medium heat till the Semolina gets golden brown color. Make sure the heat is on Low Medium so that the Ravva don’t burnt.  Mean while, Take a pan separately, pour the milk and let it boil. Add the Cardamom pods, Saffron threads or Orange food color to the boiling milk. Add the boiling milk to the semolina / Ravva and stir continuously without having lumps in the Ravva.  Cook the Rava in milk for 10 mins on low flame till the milk absorbs in Ravva. Add Sugar into the mixture. Keep stirring for 5 mins to mix the sugar in Rava and to avoid the lumps. When Rava gets cooked, it leaves the raw smell and becomes a smooth texture. Add the remaining ghee to the mixture. Add Cashews and Raisins to the mixture. Garnish with Cashews and serve hot or cold.
Secret of this recipe: More Ghee / Clarified butter and Continuous Stirring to avoid the lumps... Enjoy !!!



No comments: