Monday, October 7, 2013

Sauteed Broccoli Rabe

I always fill my cart with different veggies and greens in my grocery shopping. Recently I got attracted to Broccoli Rabe due to its health benefits. Its one of the power foods, cruciferous vegetable which has highly prevents stomach n prostate cancer. Last week, I decided to buy n play around with it. I tried to cook like the way I cook most of the Indian vegetables with a different twist. It came out so good and perfect combination with rice, roti or Quinoa. Here is the recipe:



Total Time to cook: 15 mins

Ingredients:
Broccoli Rabe: 1 bunch
Salt- as per taste
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes or Red Chilli Powder – ½ spoon or according to taste
Olive Oil or Canola Oil – 1 spoon
Garlic Cloves – 2 (cut into small pieces)
Black Pepper Powder – a pinch or ¼ spoon


Recipe:

Wash the Broccoli rabes, remove any hard or big leaves and hard stems. Take a small dish with water, bring to boil, add a spoon of salt and broccoli rabes. Cook Broccoli rabes for 2-3 mins, drain the water and keep the cooked broccoli rabe aside. You can blanch the broccoli Rabe to retain the green color. Crush or Chop the garlic into small pieces. Crush the garlic gives more powerful aroma. I prefer chopped garlic which allows a sweet mild garlic smell.
Take a pan, add a spoon of Olive oil or Canola Oil (Depend on your choice). Saute Garlic for a min and add boiled Broccoli Rabe. Saute for 2-3 mins, add red pepper flakes, crushed black pepper, salt to taste. Serve with either rice, roti or Quinoa.


I made quinoa tonight. Quinoa with Sauted Broccoli rabe is my tonight’s dinner.




Tips to buy Broccoli Rabe:
Look for smaller leaves bunches. Smaller leaves ones are younger and gives mild taste. Look for Vibrant Green leaves and Strong Plum stems. Avoid bunches with flowering buds, yellowed leaves or dry ended stalks

No comments: