Sunday, April 12, 2015

Oats Crusted Fried Eggplant


I am not a health freak. I hardly eat Oats and I hardly follow any trendy healthy options . It just happened for me to see many varieties of Oats at one of my friend’s place on a sleepover. She is so sweet, really made me remember my forgotten love for Italian and mexican food, explained her passion about oats and other healthy options. With in few weeks span, I had to go for lunch with one of my friend, who simply loves Italian food, especially for Eggplant Parmesan. I thought of creating a recipe which can satisfy both of them, a modified version of eggplant parm, which can be healthy yet delicious, also can be used for traditional eggplant parm (I will make it soon). As I am single, with small stomach, my recipes always goes for only one person. You can modify accordingly to your need.




Ingredients:
Eggplant: 1 medium size
Oil – 3 spoons (I used Canola Oil. You can use Canola Spray or Olive Oil or Butter)
Whole Oats – 1 cup ( I used Quaker Old Fashioned)
egg – 1 large egg
Salt – as per taste
Black Pepper – ½ spoon
Red Pepper Flakes – 1 spoon
Ricotta Cheese – 2 spoons (Optional)
Basil Leaves – 2 leaves (Chopped ) for garnishing (Optional)

Total Time: 15 - 20 mins

Preparation Method:

Take Half a cup of oats and grind into a coarse powder. Place in a plate. Season the Oats flour with Salt and pepper.  Take another bowl, whisk the egg, season it with Salt and Pepper. Keep the rest of the oats in another plate. Wash Eggplant. Cut into ½ inch thick round slices. Sprinkle little Salt and pepper on both sides. Dip Each slice into Oats flour, shake off if any excess, then dip into egg mix, and finally into the oats. Take a Pan, grease it with Oil or Oil Spray, place the eggplant slices into the pan. Let it fry 3-4 mins on one side, flip and then from 2-3 mins on other side. (You can also bake the eggplant slices by placing in a baking sheet, 350 F about 20-30 mins. I fried because it’s a small batch, and was in need of making something real quick. ) Remove the fried eggplant slices, apply Ricotta cheese as spread, sprinkle Chopped Basil Leaves. Serve it with a Side of Salad or Ketchup. For me, It's a perfect Appetizer or an evening snack or a simple dinner . I had it with a fresh salad made with Butter Lettuce, Avacado, Cucumbers, Radish and Baby Corn.

No comments: